As a super-fun side effect of my ADHD, I tend to hyper-focus on things from time to time. This exhibits itself as major obsessions that come and go. My obsession du jour? My spiralizer. I finally ordered one last week after literal months of deliberation and putting it off … and I’m obsessed. I’ve used it 3 times in less than 24 hours.
I’ve been having a blast coming up with a bunch of fun, creative ways to use my spiralizer, and one of the favorite things I’ve concocted was this creamy Italian sausage “pasta”. Using zucchini noodles (it’s even fun to say – zucchini noodles. Heh.) instead of actual pasta is not only a great way to cut extra calories, it makes it super easy to sneak veggies into your diet. Especially if you have picky little ones (or are a picky little one yourself), that’s awesome.
For real though, look at this. The sauce. That steam. Scarlett’s face full of daring hope and desire …
It was divine and super easy to make. The most difficult part was making sure the sausage was cooked all the way through since my meat thermometer was MIA. Start to finish, this dish took about 15 minutes. Easy peasy, lemon squeezy.
- 1 link Italian sausage
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 2 small zucchini
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- sea salt
- fresh ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon rosemary
- 1 oz. cream cheese
- 1/4 cup whole milk
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- Using the angel hair blade, spiralize your zucchini and set aside
- Thoroughly cook the Italian sausage and onions in a pan over medium heat
- Chop sausage into bite-sized pieces, then return to pan
- In the same pan as the sausage, melt the butter
- Saute the garlic and rosemary in the butter until soft
- Add the cream cheese into the pan and stir until cream cheese is almost melted
- Stir in the milk, parmesan cheese, and zucchini noodles
- Season with salt and pepper to taste
- Cook over medium heat for 3 minutes or until noodles are soft
- Dish into two bowls and enjoy!
Have you tried zucchini noodles? What are your thoughts? Let me know below!